Daily Commentary Glossary
Latinos in Houston
Houston Latino Leadership Resource
Houston Spanish Language Media
Houston, Texas 77008
Houston and Latinos
• 44% of the Houston Population is Latino, the largest population group.
• There are more Latinos in the Houston area than there are in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas.
• There are more Latinos in Harris County than there are in Bexar County – San Antonio.
• Latinos are the largest student population group in the Houston Independent School District
– over 50%.
• Seventeen radio stations that target the Latino community.
• Twelve Spanish language weekly news periodicals
• Two Latinos on the 17-member city council.
• A Latino County Sheriff.
• A Latino County Treasurer.
• Two Latinos on the 9 member Houston public school board.
• Four Latinos from the Houston area in the Texas House of Representatives.
• One Latino from Houston in the Texas Senate.
• Six Judges
• Three Latino Justices of the Peace in Harris County.
• One Latino college president.
• Three Latino Houston Community College System Board Trustees.
• One Latino Harris County Constable