Commentary's client, Laura Salinas, candidate for State Representative, District 143, had her kick-off
reception last night. Her speech was well received - very moving. Good crowd. We won't say
how many folks showed up - don't want my not-so-fans to say - "Commentary said one million showed up,
so it really must have been 100,000."
In attendance to show support: family, friends, District 143 voters, leaders involved with the
Houston Hispanic Chamber, attorneys, teachers, business owners, and Senator Gallegos' former
campaign manager. Last night, Commentary received lots of advice on how to win this race.
Commentary listens. Folks are excited. There was that special buzz in the air about this
campaign - it's real and genuine.
This past weekend, Commentary went to see an Astros' game with an equally knowledgeable fan.
Fan is of Puerto Rican descent. I asked him to name his all time Puerto Rican baseball team.
He came up with the following:
- C--Ivan Rodriguez (back ups: Jorge Posada, Javier Lopez)
- 1B--Orlando Cepeda (back ups: Carlos Delgado, Victor Pellot Power (from the
50's, gold glover, credited with starting the use of only one hand by 1Bs)
- 2B--Roberto Alomar (back ups: Felix Millan, gold glover; Jose Vidro)
- 3B--Jose Pagan
- SS--Dickie Thon (back ups: Ivan de Jesus, Jose Oquendo)
- OF--Roberto Clemente
- OF--Jose Cruz
- OF--Bernie Williams
- OF--back ups: Carlos Beltran, Juan Gonzalez, Juan Beniquez (gold glover)
- DH--Edgar Martinez
- PH--Jose Morales (retired as #2 in all time pinch hits, after Manny Mota)
- SP (righty): Ruben Gomez, Eduardo Figueroa (first PR born to win 20 games,
- SP (lefty): Juan Pizarro, John Candelaria (born in NY of PR parents; first PR to win 20 games,
Pirates; before turning pro, he played for the PR
basketball national team)
- RP (righty): Roberto Hernandez
- RP (lefty): Willie Hernandez
June 29, 2005, 9:00AM