It looks like the Chron’s E-Board reads Commentary and H-Town Council Member James Rodriguez even if they don’t take our position of immediately adding two new City Council seats like the deal says. Check out today’s lead editorial. Tsk, tsk, tsk! Commentary just doesn’t think that delayed representation is good public policy. It is the old see you manana trick.
It looks like Vidal Martinez also reads Commentary and H-Town Council Member James Rodriguez. Check out Vidal’s Op-Ed in today’s Chron. Way to go Vidal! Welcome home!
State Rep Carol Alvarado joined Lance Armstrong and State Rep. Myra Crownover at a State Capitol press conference yesterday to promote the Smoke Free Texas Bill (HB 5) by Rep. Crownover. Alvarado was the driving force behind the City of H-Town’s smoke free ordinance, enacted in 2006. Armstrong's Livestrong Foundation has thrown its full support behind HB 5.
The Houston Area Latino Summit is still taking shape. An agenda has now been posted. Latinos/Latinas are registering. The moderators are set. All of the presenters are confirmed. Sponsors are signing on. Go to www.camposcommunications.com for information on the Houston Area Latino Summit that will be held from 10 am to 1 pm, Saturday, February 14, 2009 in the Champions Pavilion at Minute Maid Park. Here is what we have so far.
• Sylvia Garcia, Harris County Commissioner
• Mario Gallegos, State Senator
• James Rodriguez, Houston City Councilmember
• Adrian Garcia, Harris County Sheriff
• Leo Vasquez, Harris County Tax Assessor-Collector
• Dr. Laura Murillo, CEO, Houston Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
• Dr. Stephen Klineberg, Rice University
• Diana Davila, HISD Trustee
• Rick Noriega, Former State Representative
• Jerry Wood, Consultant
• Alberto P. Cardenas, Jr., Attorney at Law – Vinson & Elkins LLP
• Roberto P. Caballero, Attorney at Law – FosterQuan LLP
• Héctor de León, Harris County Clerk’s Office
• Maria Jimenez, Immigrant Activist
• Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell LLP
• Taxis Fiesta
• Texas Hispanic Peace Officer’s Association
• Houston Astros
• Janiece Longoria (Port Commissioner, Port of Houston Authority and Board of Regents, University of Texas System)
Commentary will spend late Sunday afternoon and evening watching Matt Lauer interview The President and then watch the Super Bowl ads. I’ll be watching to see if any of the bailout folks have the audacity to spend $3 mil on ads. I’ll also maybe pay attention to the Steelers and Cardinals.
Speaking of, Albert Pujols wants ManRam to join the Cards and play in the NL Central – yikes – of course we have to wait until Monday, July 20 when San Luis finally gets to The Yard this season.